So, it would seem that they publishers of Crochet Master Class did not test the patterns before they published the book. There is a major error in the pattern so that part 1 doesn't match up with part 2. I was very disappointed when I discovered this Monday night. After some scowling at the pattern and the work I had already done, I decided how I was going to fix it. I'm about a fifth of the way through the second section now, and I think my fix is going to work out so that the pattern error will only be noticeable to me.
This is the first pattern that I have ever worked from a book that has had this kind of error in it. I guess I just assumed that all patterns were tested according to the written instructions before they were published. I've learned my lesson. I'll be sure to check Ravelry from now on to see if anyone has run into any errors in a pattern before I launch into it. Fortunately it was a crochet project not a knitting project. I feeling pretty confident fixing things on the fly with crochet. If it had been a knitting pattern I would have been very tempted to cry and rip the whole thing out and start over.
I have to go for now, as there is a three year old determined to sit on my lap while I try to type. Happy crafting!